- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- your choice of herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary)
- 4 x 425gm tins of organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 head spinach/silverbeet
- 1/2 a small to medium pumpkin, 5ml slices
- 600 gms feta cheese
- 1-2 cups grated parmesan
- 300 mls sour cream
- 12 fresh or ready made lasagne sheets (or enough for 3 layers)” />
Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large frying pan at medium heat, add onions & fry until transparent, then add garlic & fry briefly, before adding the 4 tins of chopped tomatoes and 2 cups of water. bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 30-40 minutes. You are aiming to remove the excess water from the sauce (reduce) so that it is fairly thick.
- While these are both cooking, you can prepare your feta cheese. Simply crumble it into a bowl and then put aside.
- Next prepare your spinach (if you haven’t already) by washing, removing stalks and slicing into 1 inch thick strips.
- Next chop whatever herbs you would like to add to your tomato sauce, these will be added towards then end (except rosemary which should be added earlier).
- Now grate some parmesan. I usually grate about 1.5 cups of cheese, but you can do more or less depending on your taste buds.
- Finally prepare your baking dish by adding a tablespoon of water to the bottom, then laying out your first layer of lasagne sheets.
- Cover lasagne sheets with one third of the tomato sauce. Make sure to thinly cover right to the edge of the sheets.
- Add half your spinach and spread evenly across the tomato sauce.
- Layer next with slices of pumpkin, using approximately half of what you prepared.
- Now sprinkle the crumbled feta on top and begin again with a layer of lasagne sheets.
- When you have repeated steps 1-4 you will be at the top of your lasagne, and now you add the final third of your tomato sauce and then spread the sour cream on top. They will naturally mix together somewhat and this is good. Make sure you really cover all the edges of your pasta with either sauce or sour cream.
- Now sprinkle your parmesan across the top and garnish with cracked pepper.
- Place baking dish in the middle of your hot oven for approximately 30-40 minutes (or until golden brown on top). Before removing from the oven make sure the pasta is cooked (should be easy to cut with a knife).